I know that I’m not a food blogger, but having changed our eating so drastically has made me search far and wide for yummy recipes that we can enjoy as a family without worrying about the effects that it will have on our bodies. I am admittedly not the best cook, but this is something that I would confidently serve to friends, so I thought I would share it here too.
One thing that I can’t get through Winter without is my butternut soup. Usually I make it with dairy cream but substituting it with coconut cream actually made it even yummier, if that was even possible.
Here’s the recipe for my vegan butternut soup. I’m not sure how Tim Noakes friendly it is being heavy with carbs and all, but I’m sure it’s OK paleo wise (because it’s an actual vegetable that a caveman would have found and eaten).
- small amount of coconut oil
- 2 medium sized onions
- a handful of leeks
- teaspoon of crushed garlic
- 2 blocks of chicken stock
- 3 packets of butternut/2 whole butternut
- boiling water
- 1 tin coconut cream
- spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, pepper)
- Brown the onions on a med-high heat for a bit in the coconut oil, add the leaks to the pot and cook them for a while too. (The longer you cook them, the less stringy they are)
- Add the garlic
- Mix for a bit before adding half a kettle full of boiling water.
- Add the butternut and top up with water so that it is only just covering the butternut.
- Plop in the stock blocks and mix till dissolved.
- Let it boil away until the butternut is soft. At this point I turn off the stove and let it cool down slightly before I blend it with my stick blender.
- Once sufficiently blended turn on the heat again to med-high. Add the coconut cream and mix thoroughly.
- After it’s boiled for about 10 minutes and emulsified with the rest of the soup, turn the heat down to low.
- Add your spices and then let it simmer until it is at your desired thickness. (I like mine quite thick)
This makes enough for our family of 5 with all of us having a couple of extra bowls each. So in total it could probably yield roughly 10 servings.
7 thoughts on “Vegan Butternut Soup With Coconut Cream”
Very simple, I’ll try this.
Yum – When the cold starts creeping in butternut is def the 1st soup of the season in our household.
Thanks for this cindy!!!! Pumpkin soup is my fav but loaded with fresh cream! So again, thanks for healthier option.
If I want to use chicken stock iso cubes and water, would I use one litre?
I’m not sure, I just kind of wing it. Normally they have the instructions on the side of the box, i’m not home or id check for you 😉